Built in 1898, Union Station is a five-building classically designed former train station located in the epicenter of the capital city. In 1986, Marsella Development purchased the complex, then a downtroddin relic of its former past and began the painstaking process of restoring the the property to its former glory. With the removal of the railroad embankment, for decades the major dividing line splitting the city in two, two acres of adjacent land was created to the immediate north of the buildings along with the city’s new main thoroughfare, Memorial Boulevard. On the new site, an underground 372 car parking garage was developed, crowned by the Courtyard Marriott, considered to be one of the finest urban examples of the limited service brand. At the lowest level of the property sits the Plaza, the city’s central point, created to offer pedestrians a calm escape with direct connection to the Riverwalk. Union Station is home to multiple corporate tenants, nonprofits, the Chamber of Commerce, The Rhode Island Foundation and five restaurants.